Hickey was Calgary's third-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Arizona had to get Smith to waive his no-trade clause to make this deal happen; the veteran had eight teams on a no-trade list.
The Flames had a need between the pipes as Brian Elliott, last season's starter, was set to become an unrestricted free agent.
Smith, 35, has not lived up to expectations in each of the first four seasons on his current six-year $34-million contract. On a one-year deal and coming off a strong playoff run with the Blues, Elliott had an up-and-down season that ended with a horrific playoff run.
Arizona will retain 25 percent of Smith's salary, per TSN insider Bob McKenzie.
Organizationally, the hope is that Smith cannot only help the Flames get to the playoffs, but that they can then do some damage once they're there.
Isis driven back to old Raqqa city
The SDF fighters have been shelling the area heavily, which may have killed civilians, and erected relatively few defences. The U.S. military has also carried out at least three separate attacks against pro-government forces in Tanf since March.
The 21-year-old Hickey recorded 4-11-15 in 35 games as a junior with Boston University in 2016-17. Still, Smith was playing in behind a Coyotes team that was leaving him responsible for backstopping the team to just about any win they may have gotten last season.
Calgary general manager Brad Treliving was working in Phoenix when Smith's six-year deal was signed and has faith in the stopper.
It's been a half decade since Miikka Kiprusoff's last full season, which happens to coincide with Smith's fourth-place finish in Vezina Trophy voting.
The Arizona Coyotes and Calgary Flames were nearly the first teams to break the ice on trades Saturday as the entire hockey community sits in anticipation, wondering what moves their respective teams will pull off.
- Atari CEO Says the Company is "Back in the Hardware Business"
- Key Takeaways From Attorney General Sessions' Testimony
- Bryan Robson urges Jose Mourinho to complete flair signings at Manchester United
- 'Kiki' Mladenovic downs Muguruza as impressive run continues
- Police chase spanning 2 states ends in crash, suspect dead
- Head Of Michigan's Health Dept Faces Involuntary Manslaughter in Flint Crisis
- Weather Service issues heat advisory for this weekend
- Microsoft releases new update amid concerns over state-sponsored attacks
- Trump reportedly gives federal post to his family's 'event planner'
- Will Senate Republicans repeal Obamacare when nobody's looking?