Jimi Manuwa will lock horns with Volkan Oezdemir at UFC 214 in Anaheim on July 29. This will likely be a #1 contender fight as Manuwa is now ranked third while Oezdemir is ranked 5th in the official UFC light heavyweight rankings. This bout will most likely serve as the co-main event as well be on standby if something happens to UFC 214's main event between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones. UFC President Dana White previously revealed that Manuwa would be on the card as a backup plan in the event that either Jones or Cormier had to pull out of the main event.
Manuwa, a 37-year-old Englishman, recently said he can handle any of the UFC's top 205-pounders, though he and former opponent/current teammate/fellow contender/UFC Fight Night 109 victor Alexander Gustafsson are hoping to avoid a fight against each other.
Who do you think will win this key light heavyweight showdown between the European striking specialists Jimi Manuwa and Volkan Oezdemir? Manuwa got a confident boost and new life in the title picture with recent back-to-back knockout wins over Saint Preux and Corey Anderson. His 28-second knockout against Misha Cirkunov in Stockholm recently added to his debut victory over Saint Preux.
Stokes smashes century after lucky start as England make 330
Stokes has recently returned from the Indian Premier League, where he was crowned the most valuable player at the competition. England were hoping their number one match-winner would be able to play a full part in training in Southampton.
Given that Oezdemir emerged unscathed from his blink-and-you'll-miss-it fight with Cirkunov and is now ranked No.5 in the division, that it made it an easy choice to book a fight between them.
The British star was briefly considered as the next challenger for Daniel Cormier's light heavyweight title, but his spot in line was taken by returning former champion Jon Jones.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation declines to provide requested materials to House Oversight
- Muguruza wins battle of the former French Open champions
- Sato holds off Helio to give Andretti another Indy 500 win
- Trump repeats criticism of Germany, Merkel stands by stance
- Manchester terror attack: Police investigating 'network' over concert bombing
- Bernhard Langer wins Senior PGA for record 9th senior major
- Death toll in Egypt attack on Christians rises to 29
- SNP ready to join forces with Corbyn against May: Sturgeon
- LeBron James overtakes Michael Jordan as Cavaliers reach National Basketball Association finals again
- #ManchesterBlast - Five more men, one woman arrested