4 claimed an incredible 10th French Open title with a 6-2, 6-3, 6-1 victory over Wawrinka in a match that lasted for two hours.
Federer has not been seen on a tennis court since April 2 when he announced after winning the Miami Open that he would be skipping most of the clay-court season and would only play the French Open in order to focus on winning an eighth Wimbledon title.
Nadal also won Roland Garros in 2006, 2007 and 2008, then after a fourth-round loss on bad knees in 2009, he grabbed a record five in a row (2010-14).
His last Grand Slam title before this year's Roland Garros came in Paris in 2014 and he admitted that there were doubts over whether or not he'd recover his former powers.
Lonzo Ball showed poor conditioning in Lakers workout
Over the last couple of weeks, there have been many NBA Draft rumors involving the Los Angeles Lakers . "I'm young. It would appear Lonzo learned everything he knows about watching what he says from his dad.
He dominated the clay court season with titles in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid. She is taking the rest of this year off because she is pregnant. Wawrinka, the Swiss player ranked third in the world, had nothing in his arsenal to counteract Nadal's attack.
Elina Svitolina, a quarterfinalist at the French Open, rose one spot to a career-high No. 5. The Spaniard won the title for the loss of just 35 games over the course of seven matches, second only to six-time champion Bjorn Borg's 32 at the 1978 French Open. "There have been some tough moments. injuries, so it's great to have big success like this again", Nadal said, per ATP World Tour.
Despite his dominance at the French Open, Nadal said he never took victory for granted. After losing just his second match here against Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals in 2015, Nadal was forced to pull out ahead of the third round previous year with a left wrist injury.
Nadal was asked Sunday whether getting back to No. 1 in the rankings is important to him.
"I play my best at all events, but the feeling here is impossible to describe".
- 'Kiki' Mladenovic downs Muguruza as impressive run continues
- Jury may soon hear from Cosby, even if he doesn't take stand
- Merkel urges speedy Brexit talks after United Kingdom vote
- Top career USA diplomat in China embassy steps down
- Trump '100%' willing to testify on Comey
- Saudi's Falih says more oil output cuts possible, will assess in July
- Will Senate Republicans repeal Obamacare when nobody's looking?
- USA counsel for Russian Federation inquiry to be fired only if 'appropriate'
- Apple Announces Smart Speaker, Device Upgrades, and iOS 11
- Accused leaker Reality Winner pleads not guilty, denied bail