Prostitution charges filed against man investigated in death

Friday, 09 Jun, 2017

Investigators found remains believed to belong to a little girl buried in a garage in IL.

According to a press release from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Jason Quate, 34, was arrested after his wife left their home in Las Vegas and fled to a women's shelter.

He remained in custody Thursday morning in Las Vegas.

The woman, who has not been identified, went to authorities with information that her husband Jason Quate was responsible for the death of a 6-year-old child in 2015, whose remains were stashed in the garage of an abandoned home in Centreville, Ill.

A separate child abuse charge against Quate is pending, said Audrie Locke, an aide to Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson in Las Vegas.

The woman told police that she and Quate met in IL but later moved to Las Vegas. "Their social skills were very non-age-appropriate".

Quate was taken into custody Tuesday morning on sex trafficking charges and may face additional counts. His bail was set at $23,000 cash on the previous charges. "How could a woman allow the death of her child, and then to know it and not tell anyone?"

Ariana Grande Returns to Manchester Stage for Benefit Show
Ariana Grande returned to the stage Sunday, two weeks after a suicide bombing killed 22 people at her concert in Manchester. The empowering concert flowed with smiles and tears as dedications were made to all those affected by the tragedy.

The owner of the home, which is vacant, let officers into the garage, where they found the body wrapped in some blankets. There, local authorities found the body of the girl in a bin, with some cat litter.

She says she only met the youngest of three daughters one time when she was still an infant.

Centreville police got the call from Las Vegas police around 2 a.m. and went to the address at about 4 a.m. Tuesday, said Sgt. DeMarius Thomas Sr.

Quate is accused of forcing his wife to work as a prostitute in Las Vegas after they moved about two years ago to the Las Vegas area with two other children, who are now in their teens. The Post-Dispatch is not publishing her name because authorities believe she is a victim of sex trafficking.

Neighbors told a reporter from KTNV-TV in Las Vegas that they frequently heard yelling coming from the apartment.

It was not immediately clear how long the family stayed in the St. Louis area after Alysha's death. The coroner in St. Clair County said an autopsy was planned. Ray Spencer. "I will tell you just in the 19 years of law enforcement it is one of the cases I will never forget".

His wife's involvement in prostitution was "her idea", Quate said. "Because that's the version she wanted me to say".