He said the attacker hit the officer severally before gaining access to the home.
An unknown number of gunmen have attacked the rural home of Deputy President William Ruto in Sugoi, Uasin Gishu County.
A senior area police chief said the armed assailants stormed the home and still held up in the premises, Xinhua news agency reported.
The motive of the attack is still unclear.
"Other officers were quickly mobilised, and the intruder was forced to hide at a building that is still under construction next to the gate", Boinnet said.
Venezuela's Maduro blames sanctions on USA imperialism
USA officials say the Venezuelan government could face additional sanctions that could hit the country's oil industry. Millions took part in a one-day strike from last Wednesday, during which five people died in clashes.
On Saturday morning (July 29) reports indicated that a General Service Unit (GSU) officer had been shot and seriously injured in the attack.
Mr Ruto was not at home at the time.
Police are yet to give an official communication on the operation.
The incident comes some 10 days before Kenya's presidential, legislative and regional county representative elections on August 8.
The armed men attacked the house just 30 minutes after the DP left for Kitale rally where President Uhuru Kenyatta was waiting for him. Kenyatta is seeking a second and final term in office.
- For first time, over half of people with HIV taking AIDS drugs
- Three Palestinians, 3 Israelis Killed in Holy Shrine Unrest
- California girl arrested after livestreaming deadly auto crash
- Chainsaw attacker injures five in Swiss town
- Lucky Whitehead's week of drama wasn't worth keeping him for the Cowboys
- It found more than 2500 products shrunk without getting any cheaper
- Tapper Goes After Scaramucci For Changing His Stance On Trump
- OH woman calls 911 after recently rescued boa constrictor bites her face
- Firefighters Resuscitate Dog After Rescuing It From A Fire
- Derrick Rose leaning to Cavs over Lakers