"What we can say of the motive of the attacker at the moment is that on the one side there are indications that he acted based on religious Islamist motives, and on the other hand there are indications of psychological instability", Grote said.
Officials interviewed the man and came away with the impression that he was a "destabilised personality" but not someone who posed an immediate danger, Mr Voss said.
The assailant entered the store in the Barmbek district shortly after 3 p.m. local time, randomly attacked people and fled but was caught moments later, according to the Die Welt newspaper.
A man went on a bloody rampage with a machete in the German city of Hamburg.
The motive for the attack was not immediately known, but German media said it could be terrorism-related.
His asylum request was rejected late past year and authorities were trying to secure new Palestinian papers to deport him - a process in which they said he had cooperated.
Police praised the courage of the three men who followed the attacker after video footage emerged of passers-by using chairs as shields to corner the suspect.
Three Israelis killed in stabbing attack at West Bank settlement - local officials
Since installing the metal detectors, Muslims have boycotted prayer on the site in fear of the changing status quo. Access to the shrine at Temple Mount has been limited to women of any age and men over 50.
Shell shocked women and children peeked out of rooms lining the first floor of block 4D, as neighbours of the 26-year-old suspect recounted his sudden transformation from a helpful man to a religious fanatic. The 41-year-old man had been convicted in 2008 of planning an attack in Berlin against former Iraqi prime minister Iyad Allawi. A 35-year-old man was injured while tackling the attacker, police said.
A police spokeswoman said the "Allahu Akhbar" accounts could not be confirmed.
The attacker had been scheduled to be deported, but the process was held up as he lacked identity papers, Scholz said.
"He was always helping other asylum seekers with their paperwork", his neighbour, who gave his name only as Mohamed, told AFP.
Heavily armed police searched a Hamburg asylum seekers' shelter where the man lived.
- More US Troops Might Not Be Needed in Afghanistan
- 8 found dead in sweltering tractor-trailer outside a San Antonio Walmart
- Lucky Whitehead's week of drama wasn't worth keeping him for the Cowboys
- Two Jordanians dead, Israeli injured in ِAmman Israeli embassy
- Wonder Woman Will Be Back to Save America in December 2019
- Will Charlie Gard be allowed to go home to die? Decision today
- Dragon Quest 11 Western Release Announced For 2018
- California girl arrested after livestreaming deadly auto crash
- Samsung Galaxy J7 Nxt Launched in India for Rs 11490
- Three-year-old twins drown in backyard pool