They occur when charged particles from the sun, often from heightened sun spot activity, shoot toward Earth and mix with gases in Earth's upper atmosphere near the poles.
Northern lights tend to peak around midnight.
The Space Weather Prediction Center's 3-day forecast indicates Sunday night is the best time in this area to see the breathtaking sky only the Northern Lights provides.
Meteorologists predict the peak viewing times will be between 11:00 p.m. Sunday and 2:00 a.m. Monday morning. This explosion produced what scientists call a coronal mass ejection (CME). "We're heading towards what's called solar minimum, so the sun is expected to be less active and it could be years before we have a chance to see this in upstate NY again", said Rapson.
The National Weather Service in Gaylord says conditions look favorable for tonight, with today's clouds giving way to mostly clear skies tonight.
Civil Rights Groups Join EPIC In Challenge To Election Commission
The commission has now backed off from that idea and assures us all that the data will be securely held on a White House site. Missouri Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann, a Republican , suggested that the commission, "go jump in the Gulf of Mexico".
The northern lights are expected to glimmer over much of Canada Sunday night in a rare display that could reach as far as southwestern Ontario and Vancouver Island.
So how can you see the lights?
Experts recommend to get far away from city lights or other light pollution and give your eyes 30 minutes or so to adjust to the darkness. Location, location, location! The farther north you are and the darker your surroundings, the more vibrant the aurora will appear.
A recent coronal mass ejection means there's a chance to catch the northern lights sometime this weekend.
- Steam Bans Over 40000 Accounts
- Technical glitch pushes trading on NSE to 10:45 am
- Panamagate: JIT accuses NAB of not actively examining charges against Sharif family
- Wash U study finds sleep deprivation may lead to Alzheimer's
- Uber borgs with Yandex's ride-sharing biz in Russosphere
- First look at Disney's new 'Star Wars land'
- Without Serena, Wimbledon will see a new singles champ. Who'll it be?
- Charlie Gard's mum urges High Court judges to 'give us a chance'
- Math genius Maryam Mirzakhani dies, aged 40
- Chuck Grassley Wants Paul Manafort to Testify on Russia Next Week