The Detwiler Fire, which has burned more than 45,000 acres since Sunday, has triggered evacuations and road closures throughout Mariposa County in central California.
According to Cal-Fire, eight buildings have been destroyed, one structure was damaged. Cal OES is working with CAL FIRE and Mariposa County to mobilize multiple fire strike teams and firefighters as well as fire engines, dozers, water tenders and fire retardant drops from aircraft.
Tall grass from a deluge of winter rains is fueling wildfires throughout the Western U.S.
"It's already a bad morning", one firefighter said over a scanner.
Highway 49 north is closed from Pendola Garden Road to the intersection with Highway 132 in Coulterville, with limited access for residents, The Fresno Bee reports. During the same period past year, there were 1,750 fires that scorched 18,354 acres, according to the Cal Fire.
Maine, New England may see northern lights this weekend
Location, location, location! The farther north you are and the darker your surroundings, the more vibrant the aurora will appear. A recent coronal mass ejection means there's a chance to catch the northern lights sometime this weekend.
Shelters were set up in schools, churches, and community centers for people and animals. The park itself has issued no warning for visitors, but the fire is threatening power lines that supply Yosemite, state fire officials said. Gov.
GettyMARIPOSA, CA - JULY 19: A gas line continues to burn at a home that was destroyed by the Detwiler Fire.
Firefighters were facing volatile fire behavior, mostly due to dry, breezy and hot conditions, said meteorologist Christine Riley of the National Weather Service in Hanford. Satellite data acquired four hours later at 2 a.m. Wednesday showed the fire had still been spreading and may have added at least another 5,000 acres. CAL FIRE Incident Management Team 4 assumed command of the incident at 1000 hrs. from the Madera, Mariposa, Merced Unit.
According to Cal Fire's latest advisory, as of 10 a.m. Monday, evacuations remain in place for the Baker Creek subdivision.
- Monsoon session 2017 begins today, here is the agenda
- Trump is guest of honor at Bastille Day celebrations
- India beat NZ to reach Semi-Finals
- Chuck Grassley Wants Paul Manafort to Testify on Russia Next Week
- BBC reveals talent salaries
- Math genius Maryam Mirzakhani dies, aged 40
- Panamagate: JIT accuses NAB of not actively examining charges against Sharif family
- China Sends Off Personnel for First Overseas Military Base
- How An Umbrella-Sharing Start-Up Lost Nearly All Its 300000 Umbrellas
- Wash U study finds sleep deprivation may lead to Alzheimer's