Strong earnings from Wipro and Indian Bank enthused investors.
Reliance Industries and Wipro traded on its new 52-week high of Rs 1,588.00 per share and Rs 290.90 per share, respectively.
The stock of Reliance Industries, a market heavyweight, logged a rise of 3.76 per cent. The 30-share BSE Sensex closed at 32,028.89, up by 124.49 points while the broader 50-share NSE Nifty gained 41.95 points to end at 9,915.25. During the week, the Sensex registered a rise of 8.14 points, or 0.02 per cent, while the Nifty rose 28.90 points, or 0.29 per cent.
Math genius Maryam Mirzakhani dies, aged 40
She said in interviews that she liked the interdisciplinary connections and implications of her work. Professor Maryam Mirzakhani is the recipient of the 2014 Fields Medal, the top honor in mathematics.
Software exporter Wipro jumped 7 percent after announcing a $1.7 billion share buyback. The rally was spilled over to other technology stocks like TCS (up 1.9 percent), Infosys (1.1 percent) and HCL Technologies (2 percent).
The BSE market breadth was bearish with 1,434 declines and 1,284 advances.
The Reliance Industries stock hit a 52-week high ahead of its 40th annual general meeting scheduled to begin in nearly an hour from now today.
Shares in Reliance rose as much as 3.9 percent to Rs. 1,588, their highest since January 2008, but its telecom rivals slumped on worries about the intensifying competition in the sector, with Bharti Airtel Ltd and Idea Cellular Ltd down as much as 4.1 percent and 7.3 percent, respectively. That represents a range from a slight fall of 0.5 percent to a 1.5 percent increase over the three months to September 30. Shares of ICICI Bank (up 0.22%) recouped in the late afternoon and ended in green while Axis Bank closed 0.02% lower.
- Tour de France 2017: stage 15
- Aguero is close to transition in "Chelsea"
- National Robotics Team Gets Red Carpet Welcome In US
- John McCain blood clot surgery delays healthcare reform vote
- Three Israelis killed in stabbing attack at West Bank settlement - local officials
- BHP to spend US$277m to modernise Australian copper smelter
- Elon Musk Gets 'Approval' for NY to DC Hyperloop
- Trump, Kim Jong Un and a global divide
- Trump is guest of honor at Bastille Day celebrations
- India planning missile with eye on all of China: US report