Three Israelis killed in stabbing attack at West Bank settlement - local officials

Sunday, 23 Jul, 2017

Israeli officials say three Israelis have died and one more is wounded after a Palestinian broke into a home in a West Bank settlement and stabbed the inhabitants.

Israel's imposition of metal detectors on the site this week triggered protests that left at least three Palestinians dead and hundreds wounded.

Thousands of Muslim worshippers traditionally attend Friday prayers at Al Aqsa.

Israeli media said the assailant was in his late teens and had posted on Facebook that he was upset by the events at the Jerusalem shrine.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas spoke with USA counterpart Donald Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner, urging the White House to intervene, the Palestinians' official Wafa news agency reported.

In response, Israel put Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque on total shutdown for two days and canceled last week's Friday prayers for the first time in nearly two decades.

The third was killed in the West Bank village of Abu Dis, close to Jerusalem, as Palestinian groups declared a "day of rage" to protest the new Israeli security measures.

Siemens scales back Russian ops over Crimea turbines
Its business there has slowed in recent years as the Russian economy was hit by falling oil prices and the impact of sanctions. Siemens said it had received "credible information" that its turbines had been diverted from the original destination.

The decision to install the metal detectors at the entry point to the shrine in Jerusalem's walled Old City on Sunday was made after the killing of two Israeli policemen on July 14.

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday denounced as "excessive" the use of force by Israeli security forces in deadly clashes over sensitive Jerusalem holy site. Access to the shrine at Temple Mount has been limited to women of any age and men over 50.

Since installing the metal detectors, Muslims have boycotted prayer on the site in fear of the changing status quo.

According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, the first man to be reported dead was 18-year-old Palestinian, Muhaad Mahmoud Sahraf, shot and killed in Jerusalem's Ras al-Amud neighborhood.

Today's unrest led to 41 Palestinians being taken to hospitals or clinics with injures from live fire, rubber bullets and beatings, according to the Palestinian Red Crescent.

Israel has defended the controversial move, claiming they are no different from security measures at other holy sites around the world.