Three Palestinians, 3 Israelis Killed in Holy Shrine Unrest

Tuesday, 25 Jul, 2017

The clashes between Palestinians and Israeli forces erupted after the latter had chose to install metal detectors at the entrances of Haram al-Sharif, also known as Temple Mount, in the Old City.

Sweden, Egypt and France have requested for the UN session to "urgently discuss how calls for de-escalation in Jerusalem can be supported", said Sweden's deputy envoy to the UN, Carl Skau.

The Israeli army says the assailant had spoken of the Jerusalem holy site and of dying as a martyr in a Facebook post.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas suspended all contacts between the Palestinian Authority and the Israeli government Friday in protest of the metal detectors.

Police chased the attackers into the site afterwards and shot them dead.

A Palestinian man runs in front of an Israeli military machinery during clashes with Israeli troops in the West Bank village of Khobar near Ramallah July 22, 2017.

Eight killed, 30 injured in Lahore blast
In February, a suicide bomber killed 14 people, including senior police officers, near the Punjab Assembly here. Lahore police chief Capt (R) Amin Wains confirmed that it was a suicide attack and the "target was police".

Abbas said that he would freeze all contacts with Israel until Jerusalem commits on canceling all the measures against Palestinian people in general and especially in Jerusalem and Al-Aqsa mosque.

Violence broke out in Jerusalem's Old City, east Jerusalem and the West Bank Friday, a day of prayer for Muslims.

Israel is willing to consider alternatives to the controversial metal detectors it installed at the holy site, a senior official said.

In spite of the murders of the two policemen which made the additional security necessary, Palestinians believe the new gates violate agreed arrangements for entry to the mosque, Islam's third-holiest site.

A Palestinian sneaked into a home in the Israeli settlement of Halamish in the West Bank after nightfall on Friday and stabbed to death three Israelis, the military said. Then Israeli opposition leader Ariel Sharon's visit to the site in 2000 provoked the second intifada, or Palestinian uprising, which lasted four years and resulted in the deaths of thousands.

Greenblatt would closely coordinate with the National Security Council and with Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law who is a top aide and is charged with renewing Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, the official said. A neighbour heard the screams, rushed to the home and opened fire, wounding al-Abed, who was taken to an Israeli hospital, said the head of Israel's rescue service.