With "respect to Syria", said the president, the notion that arming the rebels would have made a difference has "always been a fantasy. I am not somebody that will stand by and let him get away with what he tried to do", he said. "I'm not a fan of Assad", Trump said in response to a question about how the U.S. could help Lebanon deal with the massive influx of Syrian refugees the conflict has displaced into the country.
Syrians gather on July 12, 2017 with pictures of victims during a memorial in Khan Sheikhun, a rebel-held town in the north-western Syrian Idlib province, 100 days following a suspected toxic gas attack that was reported to have killed 88 people, including 31 children.
In April, the US military abruptly fired 59 Tomahawk missiles at a Syrian air base in retaliation for a chemical weapons attack orchestrated by Assad. What he did to this country and human values, is frightful. Even a former USA official who supports the CIA's program lamented in a 2015 interview with the BBC that the rebels were not "ideologically pure", and noted that "in wars like [this], there is no black and white". It was a black day for this country. Nations like the United States and France have now said removing the dictator is no longer a priority, as attention settles on threats like ISIS.
"The United States military has been proud to help in that fight and will continue to do so", he said.
Eight killed, 30 injured in Lahore blast
In February, a suicide bomber killed 14 people, including senior police officers, near the Punjab Assembly here. Lahore police chief Capt (R) Amin Wains confirmed that it was a suicide attack and the "target was police".
The current draft State Department budget calls for cuts in USA military assistance and analysts say Lebanon could be among the countries affected.
The US president added that before he took charge, "The commanders had to call the White House and speak to people that didn't know what was happening, where they were, what locations, practically, probably never heard of the countries they were talking about or the towns".
"I'll be making my position very clear over the next 24 hours", he said. We're going to see what is exactly taking place.
He said it was a "tough, tough decision".
- Derrick Rose leaning to Cavs over Lakers
- Lucky Whitehead's week of drama wasn't worth keeping him for the Cowboys
- Tapper Goes After Scaramucci For Changing His Stance On Trump
- Three Israelis killed in stabbing attack at West Bank settlement - local officials
- Will Charlie Gard be allowed to go home to die? Decision today
- 'Blind Side' Michael Oher released from Panthers
- Chainsaw attacker injures five in Swiss town
- Samsung Galaxy J7 Nxt Launched in India for Rs 11490
- Afghan officials calls Taliban claims regarding Hebatullah's son a 'propaganda'
- Wonder Woman Will Be Back to Save America in December 2019