As a effect, Bill Gates' share in Microsoft now stands at just around 1.3% of the company he co-founded with Paul Allen.
The second largest was made by Mr Buffett, who donated nearly $3.2bn to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation last month.
The billionaire philanthropist has donated the Microsoft shares to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on June 6. He has reportedly given away around 64 million worth of shares of Microsoft Corporation, which account for $4.6 billion in charity.
The recipient of this very big gift is unspecified in the regulatory filing, but if past practice holds, it's likely the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, helping to fuel the philanthropy's work in US education and global health.
The Microsoft co-founder has donated over $35 billion since 1994.
Mattis: US Prefers Diplomatic Approach
Mattis and Tillerson urged China to take a leading role in bringing Pyongyang to the negotiating table. This affords China an unparalleled opportunity to assert its influence with the regime.
Bloomberg said Gates' most recent donation of Microsoft shares was his largest such donation since 2000. Prior to this, Mr Gates gave away $16bn in Microsoft shares in 1999 and $5.1bn in 2000.
These sizeable donations have turned the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation into the world's largest private charity with $40.3 billion of funds (before the latest donation).
Gates' estimated net worth is $89.9 billion, as of July 2017.
Spokesmen for Microsoft and Gates didn't immediately respond to requests for comment. However, the gap has narrowed with Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, who surpassed Mr Gates as the world's richest person for a few hours last month during a brief bump in Amazon shares.
- Uttar Pradesh: 30 children died due to oxygen shortage in Gorakhpur hospital
- Video of Conor McGregor vs Paulie Malignaggi sparring session 'knock down' released
- Majority of Americans support attack on North Korea if it strikes South
- Manhunt in Missouri for Driver Who Fatally Shot Police Officer
- Gas Up 5 Cents per Gallon in MA
- Over half of Republicans would support postponing 2020 election
- Two arrested as Europe egg scandal spreads to Denmark
- Marijuana users 3 times more likely to die from hypertension
- Neymar scores on debut as Paris Saint-Germain beat Guingamp 3-0
- China, Philippines urged to abide by maritime ruling