NEW sanctions proposed by the United States against Russian Federation could be against global law and the European Union should consider moves to counteract them, a top German official has warned. "I have been in touch with Rex Tillerson", he added.
"Perhaps for the first time in post-Soviet history, the EU expressed dissatisfaction regarding Washington's restrictive measures against Russian Federation after it became clear that the sanctions would be slapped and that they would seriously affect European companies and the EU economy".
And, sure enough, on Monday, the Germany economy minister said that tew penalties against Moscow proposed by United States lawmakers violate global law and officials in Brussels should consider countermeasures.
"We consider this as being against worldwide law, plain and simple".
The German government and business leaders have said the new sanctions passed this month by the US House of Representatives could prevent German companies from working on pipeline projects that they say are essential to Germany's energy security.
Shah takes serious note of BJP members absence in Rajya Sabha
It needs 2/3 majority of those present in the House. "All parties have recommended about the Bill in the select committee", he added.
Just what shape the European retaliation could take has yet to be determined, although last week Politico reported that options on the table include triggering the 'Blocking Statute, ' an EU regulation that limits the enforcement of extraterritorial U.S. laws in Europe.
He added that "the current situation envisaged that there will be this situation's next round which will see negotiations between the USA and the European Union on these new anti-Russian sanctions".
The US position was recently condemned by German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel and EC President Jean-Claude Juncker. "He has a possibility to discuss these sanctions with us, to take into account European interests", DPA quoted him as saying during a visit in Belgium.
Junker said nothing about European Union sanctions against the US. But it is important the European Commission now looks into countermeasures.
Russia's Defense Ministry television channel Zvezda announced this week that the European Union would impose sanctions on the United States in response to Washington's new sanctions against Moscow. If the U.S. does not take European concerns into account sufficiently, the EU would act appropriately.
- Lucky Whitehead's week of drama wasn't worth keeping him for the Cowboys
- Monday's First Warning Forecast: A cool and sunny start
- It found more than 2500 products shrunk without getting any cheaper
- Trump confirms covert Central Intelligence Agency programme in Syria on Twitter
- Pakistani parliament to elect new PM on Tuesday
- Dragon Quest 11 Western Release Announced For 2018
- R Street Institute applauds new FDA comprehensive tobacco and nicotine announcement
- Will Charlie Gard be allowed to go home to die? Decision today
- For first time, over half of people with HIV taking AIDS drugs
- Virat Kohli expresses wish ahead of first Test against Sri Lanka