A manhunt was underway in Missouri Monday for a person of interest in the fatal shooting of a police officer.
Michael returned fire, but McCarthy managed to get back into his vehicle and drive away, crashing the auto just two blocks west, officials said.
The Missouri Highway Patrol was looking for Ian McCarthy, 39, of Clinton as the suspect. After he was pulled over, McCarthy allegedly got out of his vehicle and fired shots at the officer before fleeing in his vehicle.
Sergeant Bill Lowe of the Missouri Highway Patrol told 41 Action News the traffic stop was in regard to a registration violation. He is considered armed and risky, and the public is advised not to approach him.
Lowe said Monday that the vehicle Michael stopped is registered to McCarthy. The driver returned to his auto and drove away, but crashed and proceeded to flee on foot. "(Michael) was heroic right to the end.
Teen detained after jumping from plane at San Francisco International Airport
In April in the same year, a United Airlines flight attendant also pulled off a similar incident by jumping off an aircraft. An airport construction crew working nearby confronted the boy and held him until police arrived and arrested him.
Michael had a wife and stepchildren, according to CNN affiliate WDAF.
The fallen officer was identified as 37-year-old Gary Michael.
Michael was shot during a traffic stop in Clinton. It was not clear if the driver was shot or injured in the crash. The town of 8,800 is located about 75 miles southeast of Kansas City.
Police said the suspect is still at large and is "armed and unsafe", KMBC reported.
No other details have been released at this time.
- Trump's Boy Scout Speech Was More Than Embarrassing, It Was Dangerous
- OH woman calls 911 after recently rescued boa constrictor bites her face
- Monday's First Warning Forecast: A cool and sunny start
- Manhunt underway after 3 people shot in San Francisco park - RT America
- Gunmen storm into DP Ruto's Sugoi home
- Special prosecutor Robert Mueller asks White House for documents on Flynn
- US Proposed Cuts in Cigarette Nicotine Levels
- Hamburg attacker identified as an Islamist
- Rajya Sabha adjourned twice on Bengaluru IT searches
- Majority of Americans Support Transgender Troops