The Income Tax department raided the residence of Karnataka Power Minister, and the powerful D.K. Shivakumar and the Eagleton Golf Resort in Bengaluru this morning where 44 Gujarat Congress MLAs are now holed up.
The minister, who has been put in charge of the 44 MLAs lodged at the resort to prevent the BJP from "poaching" them, was there with them when the search took place. The Income Tax department stated that Wednesday's raids were only against Karnataka Minister D K Shivakumar without naming him.
Siddaramaiah said that it is the habit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to use Income Tax department raids against those who raise voice against them.
Congress MLAs from Gujarat have beeen staying at Eagleton Resort since July 28 as per the plan of Congress leadership who have accused BJP of engaging in horse trading, in order to ensure victory of Congress candidate, Ahmed Patel, as Rajya Sabha member.
Please Wait while comments are loading.
Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad said the government agencies were being used to terrorise people just ahead of the Rajya Sabha elections.
Venezuela's Maduro blames sanctions on USA imperialism
USA officials say the Venezuelan government could face additional sanctions that could hit the country's oil industry. Millions took part in a one-day strike from last Wednesday, during which five people died in clashes.
The tax department raids are underway at 39 locations across the country especially in Bengaluru, Mysuru, Ramanagaram and New Delhi, with all Congress cash-handlers under investigation.
The department's director general, however, has refuted the allegations, and said that the searches were planned well in advance.
The resort is located in the Bengaluru Rural Lok Sabha constituency, represented by Congress legislator DK Suresh, younger brother of Shivakumar, a lawmaker from the Kanakapura assembly segment in the district.
Javadekar said the MLAs had been staying at the resort for the "last five days and will be there for another eight days (till the Rajya Sabha election)".
Jaitley, while addressing the Lok Sabha, said that the raids are being conducted purely on economic front.
- Monday's First Warning Forecast: A cool and sunny start
- Shah takes serious note of BJP members absence in Rajya Sabha
- Diana tapes are no longer private, argues lawyer
- OH woman calls 911 after recently rescued boa constrictor bites her face
- Gunmen storm into DP Ruto's Sugoi home
- One inmate still on loose after 12 escape Alabama county jail
- Trump's Boy Scout Speech Was More Than Embarrassing, It Was Dangerous
- Will Charlie Gard be allowed to go home to die? Decision today
- Virat Kohli expresses wish ahead of first Test against Sri Lanka
- Three Palestinians, 3 Israelis Killed in Holy Shrine Unrest