The 17-year-old shocked passengers on board the Copa Airlines flight from Panama City as he flung the door open before leaping out yesterday. An airport construction crew working nearby confronted the boy and held him until police arrived and arrested him.
Yakel said the teen was not injured and air traffic was not affected.
"All the windows were closed, but then all of a sudden, someone said like, "Pop the windows open" and the emergency door was open".
Yakel says the teenager is a USA citizen and was traveling alone on the flight from Panama City, Panama, to San Francisco.
One inmate still on loose after 12 escape Alabama county jail
Underwood, who was then at a sheriff's conference in Gulf Shores Sunday night, said this number of workers on duty was normal. Six of the inmates were recaptured, but the other six were still on the loose, the sheriff's office said.
He has been detained for questioning by police and will be transported to a hospital for psychiatric evaluation. According to the passengers, the boy seemed too anxious and fidgety throughout the flight. Passengers said there was a big commotion when they noticed one of the exit doors was wide open.
"And then this guy, I see him jump on the wing and then he starts climbing down the wing and then he just runs". According to witnesses, the young man quickly and suddenly popped open the emergency door, slid down the plane's wing and hit the ground and started running.
Copa Airlines said that an investigation is under way and that the airline is cooperating with authorities.
- Hamburg attacker identified as an Islamist
- Three-year-old twins drown in backyard pool
- Gunmen storm into DP Ruto's Sugoi home
- Monday's First Warning Forecast: A cool and sunny start
- Shah takes serious note of BJP members absence in Rajya Sabha
- Wonder Woman Will Be Back to Save America in December 2019
- Pakistani parliament to elect new PM on Tuesday
- Candidate for Assembly, Three Others Killed in Venezuela on Election Day
- Trump confirms covert Central Intelligence Agency programme in Syria on Twitter
- Three Palestinians, 3 Israelis Killed in Holy Shrine Unrest