It was not until the weekend that 500 British soldiers were in place to help with the relief effort and try to deter looters, and they were bolstered by 50 police officers last night.
May also announced the government would be increasing the relief fund for British Overseas Territories left devastated by Irma from £12m to £32m.
'It is absolutely disgraceful that it has taken the whole day for Priti Patel to respond to the worst hurricane we have seen in a British territory since the 1920s, ' she said. They are providing advice and support to British nationals in Florida and issuing emergency travel documents.
An MoD spokesman said: "By the end of the evening there will be well over 100 marines and troops on the island, their priority will be establishing security and law and order before providing humanitarian assistance before the arrival of Hurricane Jose".
Active shooter situation reported at New Hampshire hospital
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center is New Hampshire's largest hospital, and is located in the west-central portion of the state. The city's official website posted that a person was in custody who was believed to be involved in the shooting reports.
Billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson posted photos on social media of the destruction that Hurricane Irma left on his private island in the Caribbean, pointing to climate change as a cause of large, unpredictable natural disasters, CNBC reported. 'We positioned our ship there to help. We have troops helping at the moment'. He added that 997 British military personnel had been deployed to the Caribbean.
Following a meeting of the Government's emergency Cobra committee on Saturday, Sir Michael said: "The relief operation is now well under way".
The United Kingdom has stepped up to assist its Overseas Territories affected by Hurricane Irma.
"The region needs a "Disaster Recovery Marshall Plan" for the BVI and other territories that will aid in recovery, sustainable reconstruction and long-term revitalisation of the local economy", Branson wrote on his blog, referencing the Marshall Plan that was enacted to help European nations recover after World War II.
'We will come through with a recovery plan for those islands and make sure they get back on their feet again'.
- There May Be A New Supermassive Black Hole In The Milky Way
- Cardinals' Johnson has dislocated wrist: coach
- Lionel Messi destroys Espanyol with super hat-trick
- West Indies cricket team's Shai Hope tipped as future 'great'
- Google appeals against huge European Union anti-trust fine
- Janet Jackson promises something special for Houston
- Pittsburgh Steelers defeat Cleveland Browns, 21-18, in 2017 regular-season opener
- Myanmar, India boost bilateral collaboration
- Hillary Clinton says she struggled after election loss, but yoga, wine helped
- Dennis Rodman Shares Memories of Kim Jong Un