The commission said that since 2008, Google has systematically given prominent placement to its own comparison shopping service, while demoting rival comparison shopping services in its search results.
Last week, EU officials said a plan that Google recently filed to comply with European regulations appeared to be a step "in the right direction". Previously it had stated that it "respectfully" disagreed with the Commission's decision.
The firm was given 90 days to stop the "anti-competitive" practices, which ends on 28 September, or they could face a five per cent fine, amounting to their average daily global earnings from their parent company, Alphabet.
Lobby group FairSearch, whose members include Google rivals such as British shopping comparison site Foundem and U.S.travel site TripAdvisor, said the European Union decision was sound.
Tropical Storm Jose forms to the east of Irma
Jose now poses no immediate threat to land but is expected to strengthen, according to the National Hurricane Center . Right now Jose has sustained winds of 40 miles per hour moving WNW at 13 miles per hour .
Brussels accused Google of giving its own service too much priority in search results to the detriment of other price comparison services, such as TripAdvisor and Expedia.
The fine handed to Google was a significant hike on the previous record penalty of €1.06bn (£937m) dished out by the commission to United States microchip firm Intel in 2009.
The consideration of this appeal should take at least a year and a half, and given the complexity of the case, rather two years, has there shown to the Court of justice of the EU.
The EU is also expected to soon decide another case against Google over abuse of its dominance of internet search to impose its Android mobile operating system.
- Myanmar, India boost bilateral collaboration
- Blind USC long-snapper Jake Olson perfectly executes on extra point
- Military tensions rise as the world responds to North Korea's nuclear threat
- There May Be A New Supermassive Black Hole In The Milky Way
- Grab some tissues for The Witcher's 10th anniversary video
- Xiaomi Redmi 5X: Speculated launch date, price, specifications and features
- Ohio State Needs Defensive Backs "Sooner" in Showdown Against Oklahoma
- GOP leaders 'visibly annoyed' when Ivanka Trump crashes Oval Office meeting
- Man United boss Mourinho relishing Champions League challenge
- Broncos sign Osweiler, cut Ward