"An infiltration bid has been eliminated in general area Zorawar of Uri sector".
The incident took place as Najar was trying to sneak back into the Valley to take control of the Hizbul Mujahideen. He carried a reward of Rs 10 lakh.
A committed member of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen, for more than 12 years, he rose to the position of operational chief of the outfit, before he quit and formed Lashkar-e-Islam.
He was a resident of Baramulla district and was one of the longest surviving Kashmiri militant commanders carrying a bounty of Rs 10 lakh rupees on his head. Police said that Najar was involved in several killings of security forces personnel and civilians.
Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe calls snap election
The increase in Abe's ratings may help him retain his coalition's two-thirds majority in the lower house of parliament. Mr Abe's support has surged as rising tensions with North Korea have overshadowed criticism of alleged cronyism.
He was heading Lashkar-e-Islam, a breakaway faction of the Hizbul Mujahideen. It also said that Najar, 41, was returning to the Valley from PoK to lead the Hizb, which suffered huge losses in the hands of security forces in recent weeks.
"Prior to being killed, Najar was arrested in 1992 and later released but instead of remaining in the mainstream, he again took up arms in 1995", said the police official.
He would change his appearance and gave tough time to police. Until 2015, Qayoom, 42, until 2015 was affiliated with Hizbul Mujahideen but he broke away from the outfit after he was expelled by Hizbul chief Syed Salahuddin.
Abdul Qayoom Najar alias Janshab, Abid, Wazeer and Qayoom chacha was the son of Abdul Ahad Najar of Batpora Sopore. After his release, Qayoom allegedly reentered militancy and was an active terrorist. The posters even targeted Hurriyat leaders and blamed them for being in league with intelligence agencies and responsible for killing of some militant commanders.
- Hands on: Amazon Fire HD 10 (2017) review
- Ryanair to recruit 120 new pilots in the 'next week or two'
- In monuments report, a skewed view of protections
- Eman Ahmed dies in Abu Dhabi hospital
- Kenya's Supreme Court Blames Electoral Commission for Nullified Poll
- Small natural disaster reported in IL , felt in 3 states
- Tropical Storm Watches Come As Hurricane Jose Moves North
- Kim Jong Un: 'Deranged' Trump will 'pay dearly' for threat
- Josh Earnest: Trump's UN Speech was 'Foolish,' Lacked 'Coherence'
- West Ham vs Tottenham TV channel, kick-off time, odds and team news