The U.S. National Hurricane Center says Hurricane Jose has grown into a Category 2 storm, and it threatens some of the same islands ravaged just days ago by Hurricane Irma. At the time, the center of Katia was about 185 miles (295 km) east of Tampico, Mexico.
Mr Dewhurst said: "Jose is now a category one hurricane and it is expected to be a category three by Friday and drop back down to a category two by Saturday".
While it is expected to curve to the north out to sea well before reaching the United States, it could pass very close to the northern Leeward Islands as a major hurricane Saturday.
The average season produces six hurricanes and three of those become major at 111 miles per hour winds or higher.
During peak hurricane season - right now - it's not at all uncommon to see one, two, or in this case, three tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic.
Putin says putting pressure on North Korea is a 'dead-end road'
President Donald Trump said on August 28 that "all options" were on the table in an implied threat of preemptive military action. The US, UK and other Western allies are prone to impose new heavy sanctions on Pyongyang even outside the UN Security Council.
Both Katia and Jose were upgraded to hurricanes Wednesday afternoon.
Irma hit several Caribbean islands on Wednesday, including Barbuda, St. Martin, Anguilla, and St. Barts. This system formed in the western Gulf of Mexico from a lingering disturbance earlier this week.
It's the first time since 2010 that three active hurricanes have been in the Atlantic.
Some strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours and Jose could become a hurricane by Thursday.
- Floridians should heed any evacuation order, Gov. Rick Scott said Wednesday. Jose is expected to move westward this week, and may move near or north of the Leeward Islands.
Katia is anticipated to pass over Mexico, dumping heavy rain over the states of Veracruz, Tamaulipas and Puebla.
- At $169, Nest thinks the Thermostat E is for everyone
- Islamic Society to collect for Harvey victims during Eid al-Adha observance
- 'Arrow' lands on pitch during county match, play suspended for security reasons
- Sudbury District Health Unit has human case of West Nile Virus
- Southgate rates Hart England's best
- IFA 2017: LG launches V30 flagship smartphone
- Turkey's Erdogan calls killing of Rohingya in Myanmar genocide
- There May Be A New Supermassive Black Hole In The Milky Way
- FDA approves new leukemia treatment, costs $475k
- Republic of Ireland held to draw by Georgia, Serbia see off Moldova