"The devastation in Puerto Rico has set us back almost 20 to 30 years", Puerto Rico Resident Commissioner Jenniffer Gonzalez told CBS News. Some of the latest evacuees arrived at Chicago's O'Hare Airport Tuesday night. Jennifer Lopez announced she was donating $1 million of proceeds from her Las Vegas show to relief efforts in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
American Red Cross workers are on the ground in shelters compiling a list of people on the island who are considered safe with the help of ham radio operators with the American Radio Relay League, based out of Newington. With help from several Puerto Ricans living in Utah, including Jeffrey Mendez, who is the VP of Sales for Vivint Smart Home, he's launched a Hurricane Maria Relief Drive. So I want you if you see this video to please forward it to a news outlet... this is something that is still happening. That order included Puerto Rico, but expired last week shortly after Maria struck. Victims are also facing shortages of basic resources, like food and water. Troops are rescuing survivors, giving medical aid, distributing food and water, and helping clear debris, among other efforts.
There Can Be No Safe Havens for Terrorists
The minister was replying to a question about India's contribution in Afghanistan and whether it would deploy its troops there. India will continue to provide developmental and medical assistance to the nation, but will not send in troops, she said .
"I told my husband if they cancel again, I might lose it", said Rivera.
"It's life or death", said Carmen Yulin Cruz, mayor of the capital San Juan. Of the 69 hospitals on the island, about 59 were believed to be operational but their status and whether they have power was unknown, DoD said.
The veteran journalist expressed concerns that - days after the hurricane hit - there are still "telephone poles sitting across the highway" and "big road signs crushed into the middle lane of a three-lane highway". He was told that the containers held the emergency supplies that people need but they weren't getting picked up because the government hasn't been able to reach the truck drivers to come get the containers.
- Iran unveils new ballistic missile
- China to cut oil exports, ban textile imports from North Korea
- Spain sending extra police to Catalonia over independence referendum
- Donald Glover, Julia Louis-Dreyfus take home comedy Emmys
- Tesla might have a new partner to develop self-driving vehicle 'brains'
- Accountancy giant Deloitte hit by cyber attack
- Federation Internationale de Football Association set to relax ban on war commemorations
- Hurricane Maria: Mandatory Evacuations Ordered in Parts of N. Carolina
- Kenya's Supreme Court Blames Electoral Commission for Nullified Poll
- Ryanair to recruit 120 new pilots in the 'next week or two'