Analyses like Moses' take place after each hurricane season and can lead to previously unnamed storms to be added, according to The Weather Channel. "I thought that storm was dead and buried in the central Atlantic".
As of 5 a.m. EDT, Ophelia, which isn't now a threat to any land, was centered about 785 miles (1,265 kilometers) southwest of the Azores and moving southeast near 6 mph (9 kph).
Ophelia, located almost 800 miles southwest of the Azores, has maximum sustained winds of 65 mph and was moving southeast at 6 mph, the hurricane center said.
Should Ophelia become a hurricane later on Wednesday, as expected, it would be the 10th straight North Atlantic tropical cyclone to reach hurricane strength, something that hasn't happened since at least 1893 (though lack of satellite measurements until the latter half of the twentieth century means there's some uncertainty here).
Few more days of sun before rainy pattern moves in
Overnight into the weekend, we'll have a couple sprinkles around but your plans should happen without any weather worries. On Saturday , the front will turn around and start moving north through southern New England and eventually to Maine.
The latest forecast from the U.S. National Hurricane Center said, "at 500 PM AST, the center of Hurricane Ophelia was located near latitude 30.0 North, longitude 36.1 West. Ophelia is moving toward the east near 3 miles per hour [6 km/h]". Some further strengthening is possible over the next two days.
Ophelia is forecast to drift slowly east for the next day or so before stronger upper-level winds arrive later this week and accelerate it toward the east-northeast just south of the Azores.
Some of Ophelia's rain bands are likely to hit the Azores islands over the weekend.
Only two other named storms have tracked within 200 nautical miles of the northwestern tip of Spain in NOAA's historical record, dating to 1851.
- What does Trump want in exchange for letting DACA recipients stay?
- Trump says he has confidence in Tillerson
- An 'unknown disaster' looms in Catalonia's independence crisis
- Victim shot in leg finds strength to stand for President Trump
- StarTimes to air Federation Internationale de Football Association U-17 World Cup
- Former British prime minister 'raped an 11-year-old boy', police told
- USA understands significance of World Cup qualifier against Panama
- Las Vegas shooter researched locations including Fenway
- At least one person dead in California fires
- "Amazon launches 7" waterproof Kindle Oasis with Audible integration, starting at $250