Crimes motivated by bias against sexual orientation accounted for 1,076 incidents reported.
About 57 percent of the 6,121 incidents reported to law enforcement were motivated by race or ethnicity, with the half of race-related crimes motivated by anti-black bias.
Hate crimes in Maryland, however, have decreased 14 percent, according to the data.
Hate crimes happened in a variety of locations.
Some civil rights groups caution that the FBI's annual figures are artificially low because they rely on voluntary reporting. "They not only hurt one victim, but they also intimidate and isolate a victim's whole community and weaken the bonds of our society", said ADL chief Jonathan A. Greenblatt.
Israel Air Force jets reportedly fired on an ammunition warehouse in Syria
It warned that it would intensify its response if stray fire from the Syrian conflict continued to fall in Israeli territory. The Syrian army responded by firing a surface-to-air missile in the direction of the aircraft, the commander said.
Minnesota reported 119 hate crimes previous year, up from 109 in 2015.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the task force he appointed on crime reduction is exploring ways to revise training for police and prosecutors, and to improve data collection on hate crimes.
The number of reported hate crimes in Georgia decreased in 2016 from the previous year, according to newly released Federal Bureau of Investigation data.
Furthermore, there were another 7,321 related offenses stemming from bias against race, religion, sexual orientation, and other traits. There were 307 crimes against Muslims in 2016, up from 257 in 2015, which at the time was the highest number since the aftermath of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Anti-white incidents increased from 613 incidents in 2015 to 720 incidents in 2016. Some agencies also may not determine an incident is a hate crime until after the FBI's deadline to report.
"The Department of Justice is committed to ensuring that individuals can live without fear of being a victim of violent crime based on who they are, what they believe, or how they worship", Sessions said in a statement. No reported crimes were motivated by a disability, gender or gender identity.
- Wilder calls out Joshua after savage TKO win
- IOS predictive text bug is frustrating, but Apple has a workaround
- Amazon Fire TV Stick Basic Edition launches globally
- British cabinet minister resigns over unauthorized talks with top Israelis
- GIRAFFE ALERT: Could April the giraffe be expecting another baby?
- Stars turn out for Deepika Padukone's 'Padmavati' party
- Multiple deaths in shooting at Texas church, sheriff tells local media
- LiAngelo Ball's punishment could be 20 days in luxury hotel
- Korea Start Drills In Show Of Force Against N. Korea
- A Human Driver Caused a Collision During a Self-Driving Shuttle's Debut