Emergency personnel rushed to the scene, and some victims were evacuated by helicopter.
During its Sunday morning worship service, a Southern Baptist church in rural Texas became America's latest mass shooting.
Sutherland Springs is a small rural community about 30 miles (50 kilometers) southeast of San Antonio.
It was not immediately known how many people were killed and wounded, or who carried out the attack. KENS 5 confirmed at the scene that there were multiple casualties including children.
With details rapidly unfolding, some unnamed officials were quoted in media reports citing tolls as high as 27 dead and 20 or more wounded.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott called the shooting an "evil act".
Uluru climbing ban from 2019
In addition to being incredibly disrespectful, climbing Uluru is often risky , and has led to a number of deaths over the years. The entirety of Uluru is a sacred area and the site where the climb begins is also a sacred men's area.
A GUNMAN has reportedly gone on a shooting spree at a church in Texas.
President Donald Trump tweeted from Japan, where is his on an Asian trip, that he was monitoring the situation following the shooting.
"The people of Sutherland Springs need our prayers right now", Ryan wrote on Twitter.
- It's unclear whether police shot the suspect or if he killed himself.
After the shooting, the suspect sped away in a auto and was soon cornered by sheriff's deputies just outside of Wilson County in Guadalupe County, Wiley told Reuters.
Another witness told CBS News that she heard about 20 gunshots when the shooter opened fire around 11:30 a.m. local time.
"It was rapid fire", Matula said.
- Israel Air Force jets reportedly fired on an ammunition warehouse in Syria
- Puigdemont skips court appearance, but will cooperate with authorities - lawyer
- Japanese firm gives non-smokers extra six days holiday
- Jared Kushner Turns Over Documents to Special Counsel Robert Mueller
- Overworked Russian teen model dies of exhaustion in China
- Davey Martinez is Nationals' pick for manager
- Federal Bureau of Investigation locates 2nd man wanted for questioning in NYC attack
- Dave Grohl Trashes Jimmy Kimmel's Office
- White House Brushes Off Former Aide's Guilty Plea
- Crude Oil Forecast And Technical Analysis October 26th